Sunday, January 17, 2010

Denim Infidelity


I don’t believe in spending $100+ for a pair of cotton pants; aka-jeans. Don’t get me wrong I wear jeans every day and they are by far my favorite article of clothing = TRUE LOVE. I would get married in jeans and get buried in jeans. They are a staple of Americana and the epitome of cool! I mean when you picture James Dean in your head what kind of pants is he wearing? That is right a pair of jeans! However Europeans and the fashion industry have also picked up on this fact and have exploited the pants America was built in. They charge $200, $300 and even $400 for a pair of pants made out cotton (The same material your t-shirts are made out of). This can no longer stand!

I wish I could be a true advocate against spending $100+ for a pair of jeans, but alas I am a fraud. When I was in Europe I saw a pair of Nudie Jeans (Very cowboy looking, not euro-trashy) and it was like a rush of blood to the head! Never in a million years would I buy a pair of jeans like this in LA, but far away hidden in the confines of Europe temptation took hold and I bought them! Plus in Euros they didn’t seem that expensive, however when I did the dollar conversion later that day it was not the case = FAIL.

I was so excited to wear them and show people in LA that I too was “cool and hip”. However expensive jeans aren’t expensive because they are more convenient/comfortable, in fact that is far from the case…

Facts about my expensive jeans:

1. They were stiff as wood! I felt like I was walking around in robot pants. I guess you have to “wear them in so they fit you just right”. However for the money you spend on them why couldn’t they get people from the former Soviet Union to wear them in for you before you buy them?

2. They were made out of raw denim which means they bleed dye (something about being untreated), so my socks and shoes started turning blue. The bottom half of my body felt like Violet Beauregarde when she ate the Three Course Meal Gum even after Willy Wonka gave her clear warning not to.

3. You couldn’t wash them and being that I am insanely clumsy within the first week of having them I spilled something on them. When that first drop of mustard fell on them I felt like I just threw $100+ in the trash.

So here I was stuck with this pair of really expensive bleeding robot pants, polka dotted in mustard and BBQ sauce... while my comfy Levi’s laid on the floor. I felt like I had committed denim infidelity! My long time love, trusted and comfortable pair of jeans were just thrown to the wayside when the 1st pair of sexy European high fashion jeans crossed my path on vacation. How could I make it up to my Levi’s, would they take me back? Well of course they did, they are just a freaking pair of pants! However the lesson was learned…

No comments: